Another year of increased government funding shows growing confidence in Transport East
We can push on with plans to accelerate better and more sustainable transport connections for the East of England, after securing over £750,000 from the Department of Transport.
The funding provided will support the partnership to finalise and implement Transport East’s regional Transport Strategy, as well as support the delivery of our ambitious Business Plan 2022-23.
Our priorities for this year include:
- Growing the capacity and capability of the Transport East partnership to increase our effectiveness
- Developing our Centre of Excellence for Rural Transport
- Initiating our strategic Rail Plan for the East
- Beginning work on the next generation of investment needed on the region’s strategic transport corridors
- Leading the thinking on the path to Net-Zero transport and identify the best locations for new public Electric Vehicle infrastructure
- Strengthening our voice to put the east’s transport priorities on the UK map
Last year, we made significant progress by consulting on our draft Transport Strategy and Investment and Delivery Programme, setting the direction for investment for the next 30 years.
We identified the significant challenges for the region in meeting the Net-Zero transport ambitions through our Decarbonisation Baseline Report. We established a vision for Active Travel within the east through out joint report with Sustrans, including 11 recommendations for a step-change in walking and cycling.
Transport East has also published our evidence for improved passenger transport in the region, identifying two-thirds of our rural areas as ‘transport deserts’. With all this, came our increased advocacy and influence with government, delivery bodies and local partners.
This year, Transport East will continue to work with partners to champion the eastern region in all things transport, putting the region’s priorities on the national map. The partnership will plan the next generation of transport investment. Developing the evidence and new solutions that will decarbonise transport, connect the region’s growing towns, and further build the case for investment in rural transport through a centre of excellence.
We welcome conversations with anyone working in these areas across the region. Please use our contact form to get in touch.