For the East to continue to thrive we must work together.
Our vision is of a thriving economy for the East, with fast, reliable and resilient transport infrastructure driving forward a future of inclusive and sustainable growth for decades to come.
In March 2018 Transport East was launched, as a new Sub-National Transport Forum to deliver a collective vision for the future of transport and infrastructure in Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk and Southend-on-Sea.
As a partnership, we bring together the local transport and planning authorities, and business leaders with Network Rail and Highways England. We enable the region to to speak with one voice on the transport infrastructure investment needed to drive transformational growth.
Find out more about our working arrangements.
Why do we need Transport East?
Transport East will enable us to develop a high-level Transport Strategy for the region which supports our ambitions for economic growth and prosperity.
The partnership will provide a vehicle for:
- Representing the region's interests in national strategy and policy to ensure alignment between national investment and local growth.
- Enabling a more effective and meaningful engagement with the Department for Transport, infrastructure agencies (such as Highways England and Network Rail) and service providers (such as bus and train operating companies), and the East of England’s major ports and airports.
- Sharing technical expertise and resources across the partners to assist with the development of a coherent and integrated transport network which is better able to respond to the demands of growth and changing technology.
What will Transport East achieve?
Through Transport East our partners will have a strong mechanism to:
- Facilitate more efficient and effective delivery of infrastructure, with schemes delivered faster and at less cost
- Improve the resilience of the transport system, particularly during periods of disruption
- Deliver more efficient operation of strategic, local and major road networks
- Drive value through the sharing of knowledge, skills and resources